Build your framework for free
No credit card required.
Back to frameworks
Devexperts: Engineering Grading System
At Devexperts, we use the Grading System which:
- Synchronizes engineering grades across the company,
- Makes career levels transparent,
- Specifies our expectations from engineering managers and individual contributors (engineers).
Here are some basic principles we follow:
- Prove your skills first to get an upgrade.
- Your hard skills set does not guarantee your level upgrade. Your impact on the project plays a much bigger role.
- Different levels require different balances between skills.
- No level downgrades.
- It’s an Employee’s responsibility to showcase their achievements.
- The best upgrade is the one that’s evident to everyone.
- Levels are cumulative. Each subsequent level incorporates the previous ones.
- Ideally, the grading documentation should be reviewed more than once a year through recurrent one-on-ones.
There are 7 grade levels for Engineers (E1 - E7) and 3 grade levels for Engineering Managers(EM1 - EM3). These tracks are not dead ends. We offer a range of customized career development options to help you achieve your goals.
Links from Devexperts
Sign up for the Progression App
Request a free framework consultation
We know that building frameworks can be a complex task. Since 2018 we've built 100s, and helped customers build even more. Book in a consultation with one of our experts today.
Level up your team
Join the completely non-spammy progression.fyi mailing list